Wednesday, December 26, 2007

there's something about ..... christmas and 881

It was a great Christmas Dinner at Coolcat's.

Somehow, this year's dinner fare is more varied, breaking away from more traditional Christmas food.

As a result of Chicken Wings and Chicken Rice, I'm down with a severe Sorethroat.. so bad that swallowing Saliva becomes a nerve-wrecking experience.

Needless to say, I have to endure 2 nights of lousy sleep, both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

My family Doctor must have been making good money. He doesn't work on Holidays as well as 3/4 nights of the week. I was only able to consult him this morning.

And just when I thought my Christmas can't get any worse, I decided to watch 881 last night.

You know that Royston Tan's hit and Singapore Top Grossing Movie of 2007 beating spiderman 3 in the process.

I'm sorry to those people who gave fantastic reviews of the show and sorry to those who spent money to watch it at local cinemas and have bought DVDs, but my borrowed pirated DVD from JB, did not give me much pleasure at all.

This is not a movie inspired by 歌抬, it's a movie inspired by 天龙八部. Those who have watched would know what I'm referring to. I mean... your movie is almost reaching greatness and you have to spoil it with your Laser-effects-coming-from-fingers? Upon searching the official website of 881, I realised the right term to use is "laser darts". The below para is taken from their website:

"At a confrontation, the Durians challenge the Papayas to a showdown. The stakes are high: whoever loses will leave the getai scene for good. The Papayas accept, and start preparing for the big day – new costumes, new songs, new dances. The movie climaxes with a dramatic musical battle. Both sides pull out all the stops to win over the audience, at first with their musical numbers. But as the fight becomes more intense, the Durians attack with their laser darts and the Papayas retaliate with their celestial powers. Who will triumph? Watch Royston Tan’s 881! "


The best part of the show is really the opening 5 minutes of the show. The first 5 minutes gave me so much anticipation about the movie that I must say the let-down was too great.

I wouldn't know if they have done the show without the "Laser Darts", whether I would like the show more... as I said, I wouldn't know.

It's disappointing. I was really looking forward to a good movie and a great Christmas. I got none.

Merry my foot!

No comments: