Sunday, November 04, 2007

there's something about ..... old style shopping

Yesterday my family decided to relive those old days shopping in a old town HDB Central, in particularly Ang Mo Kio Central.

The shopping was great, the nostalgia feel make it a better shopping experience than say shopping in Ang Mo Kio Hub.

Went past a DVD/VCD shop and saw a rental service available at 50% discount. And to my delight, they have recent titles like DIE HARD 4.0 and SPIDERMAN 3, available for rent at $2.50 each, after discount!!!!

$2.50!!!!! I remember movies in the late 80s were $2.50!!!!!

At $2.50, you can't even order a Mee Bok Dry with Chilli and no Dee Gua at Ang Mo Kio Hub.

At $2.50, you can't even order a full set at Ya Kun Coffee Stall.

At $2.50, you can't even take a MRT to and fro to City Hall.

At $2.50, you can't even buy a Popcorn and Drink upsize at Golden Village, not less a movie ticket.

At $2.50, you probably can buy 2 nice buns at Breadtalk, after eating and 1 day later, all out in the toilet bowl.

But at $2.50, you can rent a DVD of a recent title, watched it with your wife, enjoy the movie and later burnt it into a disc so that you can sell it on Ebay at $5 including shipping.

Damn Shiok!!

Not only can you rent cheap dvds, you also have good customer service from the shop's sales girl likely from Malaysia, unlike some "upmarket" rental shops housed in shopping Malls.

I was asking how long can I rent the disc for and she replied:

"要 看 是 movie 还 是 doma lor?"

You see, I have been out of heartlander mode for a long time. I was having self-doubt whether there were some local slang which I may have missed out over the years.

Trying not to appear too stupid, I continue asking her how many days I can keep the disc for movie.

She explained to me but fall short of explaing what a Doma is. I was hoping for a clue to avoid asking and in the process looks stupid.

Finally, I couldn't take it anymore. My quest for knowledge is too over-whelming. So I ask her.

She replied "Doma is 联续剧 lor".

No comments: